In 1908, Dorothea Mackellar wrote My Country:
I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of droughts and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror
The wide brown land for me!
In the last few years, resilient Australians have endured both natural disasters and human ones.
- Floods are a natural phenomenon caused by a Climate phenomenon known as ‘La Nina’ but are exacerbated by humans, such as the NSW government which has failed to improve flood control for over a decade.
- Fires are again a natural phenomenon, some caused by lightning and exacerbated by El Nino-caused drought but many, many more are started by arsonists and amplified by failure to reduce tinder-dry bush during periods of drought and build fire breaks. Bushfires have been blamed on ‘Climate Change’ (meaning Anthropogenic or Human-caused Climate Change).
- The French submarine contract is entirely a man-made disaster.
- Power blackouts in South Australia were due to destruction of working power stations, increasing reliance on base-load power from other states and transmission lines. Entirely human-caused.
- Windfarms are disastrous for birds and bats, whose tiny eardrums burst when exposed to infra-sound.
- Coronavirus (correctly known as SARS-Cov-2), would most likely have remained in bat caves if it hadn’t been collected by researchers from the Wuhan institute and released into the world through lax biosecurity. Excessive controls such as lockdowns, vaccine mandates and banning of known-effective medications have exacerbated the impact of SARS-Cov-2 way beyond what would have occurred had it escaped from the bat caves by itself, which is unlikely.
So whatever disasters are caused by nature, they are exacerbated by human actions – and particularly politicians – usually governed by Cipolla’s 5 Laws of Stupidity:
“With the smile on his lips, as if he were doing the most natural thing in the world, the stupid will appear on the spur of the moment to spoil your plans, destroy your peace, complicate your life and work, make you lose money, time, good humor, productivity, and all this without malice, without remorse and without reason. Stupidly”.
The Laws of Stupidity probably funded gain-of-function research at Wuhan, turned off-the-shelf undetectable nuclear subs into noisy diesel subs costing more and taking a decade longer, blew up the Playford power station, bowed to Greens and failed to clear firebreaks and allowed people to build on flood plains in Lismore…
- Lismore flood victims: Getty Images
- An alleged Cloud-seeding conspiracy theory reported by Japan Today
- The NSW Mouse plague
- Turnbull addresses the Press Club – reported by Daily Mail UK
- Coronavirus called a ‘rapidly evolving situation’
- Bushfires falsely blamed on ‘Climate Change’ by Science Alert
- ‘A Ruddy nightmare’
- Gillard speaks out against sexism
- Coal smoke stacks fall
- ACT Government throws Ararat Wind Farm project a lifeline
- The United States, France and nuclear deterrence post NPR
- Each way Albo – Sky News