A ‘panel of Labor elders’ will be charged with helping choose the prospective new leader of the embattled party as it looks for a replacement for Michael Daley. The move is designed to ensure the party avoids the scandals of the past with the ‘Candidate Review Committee’ to ‘vet’ prospective candidates as part of the ballot process.
The recommendations are unlikely to be finalised before the federal election[LOL!]
Source: Daily Telegraph
Does it have something to do with the current Front-runners or Past leaders?
- In 2007, Jodi McKay described as a “rat in the ranks” after Morris Iemma poached her from Liberals, saying: “Jodi was what the Labor Party was crying out for, she is everything the party stereotype is not – young, not attached to any union, fresh, has modern views”.
- Minns, the member for Kogarah was bagged by the RTBU in 2015 for being “out of touch” after bagging the unions in his maiden speech, saying ‘union members should have less of a say inside the party’.
Past leaders include:
- Michael Daley, who almost caused Bill Shorten to go into exile.
- Luke Foley, who resigned after sexual assault allegations
- John Robertson, who resigned after it was revealed that he had “sent a letter on behalf of gunman, Man Monis … in support of Monis’ request for a supervised visit with his children on Father’s Day in 2011 despite an AVO against him” (Source: SMH)
- “Nobody’s Girl”, Kristina Keneally
- Nathan Rees, who didn’t survive long after he sacked Joe Tripodi from the cabinet…
- …etc, etc, etc
Leave a comment