King: “We will campaign on Medicare in the coming months because it is core business for us. Philosophically, it’s at the centre of everything the modern Labor Party stands for”.
Translation: Mediscare 2.0
“Before an election, the Liberals always insist they’ll make no cuts to health. But they lie, every time”
The left-leaning ABC investigated Turnbull’s claim that the Coalition were “spending record amounts on health” and judged it a…Fair call:
The Verdict: Spending on health was higher in 2016-17 than in any other year since at least 1985-86.
King: “it’s worth remembering the GP co-payment”, referring to the Abbott government’s plan to introduce a $7 charge for patients who make a bulk-billed doctor’s visit.
Comment: It’s all very well criticising Abbott’s solution but King has NO SOLUTION for escalating health costs and over-servicing. And King is sidestepping the non-partisan INDEPENDENT Productivity Commission by proposing what she calls an ‘independent’ Health Reform Commission.
Source: The Age
In October Michael Gannon, the new head of the AMA said:
“We don’t need a scare campaign – we need honest differentiation between the major parties when it comes to what they’ve got to offer the electorate”. Source: SMH
Comment: King’s speech represents a number of things that are “philosophically at the centre of everything the modern Labor Party stands for”:
- Lying and scare campaigns, e.g. Mediscare 1.0
- Creating useless bureaucracies and extending their influence past their term of office
- Confusing ‘spending’ with effectiveness
- Criticising spending cuts which are the result of efficiency gains, e.g application of technology, reducing over-servicing
- Having a Machiavellian disregard for the needs of the population, instead scheming to win votes.
1. cunning, scheming, and unscrupulous, especially in politics.
“a whole range of outrageous Machiavellian manoeuvres”
synonyms: devious, cunning, crafty, artful, wily, sly, scheming, designing, conniving, opportunistic, insidious, treacherous, perfidious, two-faced, Janus-faced, tricky, double-dealing, unscrupulous, deceitful, dishonest; informal foxy
“there were press accusations of Machiavellian deception”